Thursday, June 7, 2012

Trevor's Story



I met Trevor last year on my first trip to Uganda.
Trevor lives at The Redeemer House orphanage
with 15 other children
The Redeemer House is an AMAZING orphanage
I encourage anyone to read more about it here:
http://www.redeemerhouseorphanage.org/

It was difficult meeting Trevor last year because he was obviously having a difficult time.
He was the cutest little boy, but obviously struggling.
He was crying, I was told by some of the other children they often didn't know why.
Me and Junior, one of the other young men that guides our trips, sat with Trevor
and Junior tried to ask Trevor what was wrong,
Unfortunately, Trevor spoke a different dialect than Junior and he was hard to understand.
I could clearly see that Trevor had some kind of development delay but it was hard to say what.
Although we couldn't communicate with Trevor, I just sat and held him.
His arms and legs were all over the place, he couldn't seem to sit still.
I wasn't sure what his story was at that time or what was going on with him
but my heart broke for him. All I knew at the time was that this abnormally skinny little boy
obviously had a rough life before coming here, and thanking God that he
               was here now.


             Now a year later. 2012.
We traveled back to Jinja to visit Kathy Von at the Redeemer house again.
When I saw Trevor I honestly didn't even believe it was him.
He was doing so well!! It was hard believe he was the same kid.
He looked so much better, his once malnourished body, was now
filling out and he had gotten much taller.
The best part was he now knew some English and was able to say a few words to me.
He was dancing and singing (he is quite the little dancer I may add.)
He told me he remembered me and I can't describe how wonderful that felt.

This time I was able to speak with Kathy about Trevor's story before he came
     to the Redeemer House
She informed me that he has seizures and slow development due to years of malnutrition
They believe he may be epileptic, and are still working to find him the right treatment.
Trevor is also very sensitive, he gets his feelings hurt easily and LOVES attention.
She told me his story actually made the news.
He use to live with his step mother who was very abusive.
When he was brought to her he was bone thin and very malnourished.
His step mother made him sit alone in a room in the corner, where she kept him.
and to punish him, would force him to eat feces.
Trevor has a scar on his forehead that I wonder how he got.
It's hard to know for sure what all these children have been through.
Each one of them has a story.


Some of these children still need sponsors. If you are interested you can find more information at
http://www.redeemerhouseorphanage.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment